Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My part of the Acts script

This is the part of the Acts movie script that I wrote. I'm sure Erin will post the script in its entirety, but this way it looks like I did something.


Acts 7-8

Intro [narrator]: Stephen gives a speech to some Jews in which he tells the story of Exodus. Stephen condemns the Jews, which angers them.

Scene 1

Stephen: [to Jews] You stiff-necked people! You have failed to live righteously!

[Jews run at Stephen, take him down]

Stephen: Look! I see Jesus! [points towards the sky]

[Jews drag him away, stone him. Saul appears at the stoning, Jews lay their coats at his feet (or some other submissive behavior)]

Stephen: Lord Jesus, receive my spirit! [He dies.]

Saul: Well done, Jews! This man deserved to die.

Interlude

Narrator: Philip goes to Samaria to proclaim the coming of the Messiah. The people of Samaria had previously thought a magician named Simon was a holy man, but Philip proves him wrong by performing miraculous deeds and converts everybody, including Simon, to Christianity. Peter and John join him in Samaria to help baptize the new converts.

Scene 3 [involving a convert, Peter, John, and Simon]

[Peter splashes water over convert’s head and lays his hands on it while Simon watches intently]

Simon: I want to do that! [He pulls out a wad of cash] I’ll pay you all of this money if you give me the power to deliver the Holy Spirit through my hands, as you have done.

Peter: Fie on you! You and your money can go die! God’s gift cannot be bought! Repent! Repent! Pray for forgiveness, you wicked, wicked man!

Simon: Oh, woe is me! Please, pray for me so God will not hate me!

Peter: [to John] Our work here is done. Let us return to Jerusalem.

Acts 9

Scene 1

[Saul enters a synagogue to talk to the high priest]

Saul: Good father, can you help my cause? I ask of you letters to bear to the synagogues at Damascus, so I can capture any who have converted to this new devil religion and bring them back to Jerusalem for persecution.

High Priest: This is a good idea. I will help you in your efforts to preserve our most holy faith.

Saul: Thank you, good man! May the God of Abraham and Isaac bless you.

Scene 2

[Saul walks down a deserted path towards Damascus with two companions; suddenly, a light from heaven flashes down on him]

[Saul falls over dramatically]

Jesus: Saul…Saul! Why do you persecute me?

Saul: Who are you, Lord? I say Lord, yet I am confused.

Jesus: I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But now you see I exist in all my glory, so go enter the city, and you will receive further directions. Your mission now is to praise me, and praise me you will.

Saul: I’m blind! The glory of Jesus has blinded me! I’M BLIND!!!

[Saul’s companions look on, confused]

Companion 1: Did you see anything?

Companion 2: Not I. He must be one of God’s chosen people!

Companion 1: It’s a miracle!

Saul: Help me! I’m blind!

[Saul’s companions lead him away. Soundtrack: Party to Damascus by Missy Elliott. Musical interlude – play music as Saul is shown being laid on a bed, looking pale and confused – fade to Ananias laying in bed, sleeping]

Scene 3

[Ananias is sleeping]

Jesus: Ananias.

[Ananias looks startled, wakes up]

Ananias: Here I am, Lord.

Jesus: Get out of bed! God to Judas’ house—it’s on Straight street. Do you know where that is?

[Ananias nods, still half asleep]

Jesus: Good. At Judas’ house, you will find a man named Saul. He is currently in shock because I temporarily blinded him while proving my majesty. He will be expecting you to give him his sight back; I showed you to him in a vision.

Ananias: But Lord, I can’t go to him! I have heard how evil he is, and he has permission from the High Priest to persecute people like me!

Jesus: Don’t make me look bad. Do you think yourself to be better than me? Do as I say! I need you to help prove my majesty to Saul. He is my instrument now. I will show him what real suffering is, and all people will bow down before me when they witness Saul’s plight!

Scene 4

[Ananias is standing over Saul in bed. He lays his hands on Saul.]

Ananias: Brother Saul, it is with the power of the Lord Jesus that I give you your sight back.

[Scale-like things fall from Saul’s eyes]

Ananias: Now be baptized.

[He splashes water on Saul’s head]

Saul: [Blinking, looking amazed] Praise Jesus! I feel better already.

Narraror: And Saul went on to proclaim the word of the Lord to all who would listen.

Acts 21-22 [prologue to 23]

Paul returns to Jerusalem from a crusade. He speaks with the elders there, who warn him that the Jews of Jerusalem hate him with a passion. They suggests he perform some rituals important to the Jews to improve his image. He performs the purification ritual, but the Jews try to kill him anyway. Soldiers come to Paul’s rescue, and Paul takes this opportunity to give a speech to the Jews. He announces he has been a Jew since he was born and tells the story of his encounter with Jesus. This does not impress the Jews, who get more angry with Paul. The soldiers try to beat Paul, but he uses his Roman citizenship to get out of it. The next day, Paul is sent to speak with the chief priests and town council.

Acts 23

Scene 1
[Paul stands before the council, looking at them intently. Soldiers stand next to him.]

Paul: Brothers, up to this day I have lived my life with a clear conscience before God.

High Priest Ananias: [to soldiers] Strike him on the mouth!

Paul: God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! You call me a criminal, but you’re breaking the law!

Soldiers: Do you dare to insult God’s high priest?

Paul: Oh, I didn’t know he was the high priest! Had I known I would not have spoken, for I know the law that says “You shall not speak evil of a leader of your people.”

[Paul’s thought bubble: Aha! Some of these men are Pharisees and some are Sadducees. I will use their conflicting beliefs to my advantage.]

Paul: Brothers, I am a Pharisee. I am on trial concerning the hope of the resurrection of the dead.

[The men start to bicker among themselves—Sadducees do not believe in resurrection/angel/spirit, but Pharisees do.]

A Pharisee: We find nothing wrong with this man. What if a spirit or an angel has spoken to him?

[The men become violent.]

Head Soldier: [talking about Paul] Take this man to the barracks! Use force if you must.

That evening the Lord spoke to Paul, saying “Keep up your courage! For just as you have testified for me in Jerusalem, so you must bear witness also in Rome.”

Scene 2
[at a gathering of Jews]

Jew 1: We must kill Paul!

Jew 2: We must! Let us agree to not eat or drink until we complete this task.

Jew 1: Good idea! Let’s go tell the chief priest and the elders.

Scene 3
[Jews stand before the elders]

Jew 1: We have vowed not to eat or drink until we kill Paul.

Jew 2: So, you should have the soldiers bring him here tomorrow.

Elder: But what will we say we need him for?

Jew 1: Say you need to question him more thoroughly.

Elder: Very well. We will do as you ask.

Paul’s sister’s son hears of this plot, and tells Paul. He then tells the head soldier (aka tribune) of the plot, who agrees not to bring Paul to the elders. The tribune then arranges for Paul to be brought to Caesarea, and writes a letter to the governor of Caesarea telling of Paul’s circumstances. Paul is brought to Caesarea and held captive there.



No comments:

Post a Comment