Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Firefly

I am becoming accustomed to the seemingly large number of random coincidences related to this class, and in fact one such coincidence happened to me last night.

I was sitting at my friend's house (when I could have been reading the Bible, ha ha), and we had just finished watching a dramatic but amusing TV show called "Sex Rehab with Dr. Dave" when my friend turned to me and asked, "Have you ever seen Firefly?"

"No, but it's funny that you say that...." I replied, and went on to tell him about how Ashley had written her term paper about how Firefly is a perfect example of how the Bible tells stories that will happen forever, even in a futuristic world (or something like that, my apologies if I didn't get the thesis exactly right). And I definitely wanted to watch it, because my interest had been piqued.

My friend replied that he believes the Bible is "the ultimate story." In fact, he persuaded me to basically agree with the idea that the main gist of the stories in the Bible tell basically every story that happens in real life. I had been skeptical about this before, but I was being too realistic. Not every detail is written (lacuna!), but the main ideas are the same.

So, we proceeded to watch the beginning of Firefly. I don't think I watched enough of it to make any intelligent introspections about it, but it was pretty interesting. Actually, it kind of reminded me of Star Wars with no weird aliens and more sketchy activity in the absence of an actual war. I was also not really a fan of the captain of the ship, but he was a "mysterious" character. I'll leave it at that before I say something more stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment