Wednesday, December 9, 2009

How does the Bible find me boring?

It's the end of the semester and any hopes I had of making a sizable dent in the Bible were dashed long ago. I read Genesis and Exodus in entirety, as well as Esther, Acts, Susanna, and Job, and I read a few other excerpts here and there. But overall I have failed at the first and most daunting challenge of this class: to read the whole Bible, actually read it.

When it comes down to it, it's really hard for me to read the Bible and make substantial progress. I lose focus after half of a column, I have to go back and re-read, I try to stay focused for the next half of a column, the same thing happens, one of my roommates starts talking to me, I try to focus again, something pops into my mind, my mind wanders as I "read" another column, I realize I don't know what happened, and I eventually give up with another two pages of Biblical knowledge swimming around somewhere in my head.

Basically, I am a failure when it comes to reading the Bible. And of course, it's not because the Bible is boring. It's because I am boring, according to the Bible. So, how does the Bible find me boring?

I am not religious, not in any organized sense of the word. I haven't made the quest of figuring out what I believe in a significant part of my life. I was raised Catholic and that certainly didn't make me want to be Catholic. I took a religions class last year predominantly about Hinduism and Buddhism, and they turned out to be very complex and confusing and difficult to teach, much less understand as a student. I've believed in karma as a constant force in the world for years, but I learned the true definition of karma is action, which put a whole new spin on it for me. I still believe that every action is meaningful in the whole scheme of things, but I digress.

Perhaps the Bible finds me boring because I haven't done what it wants me to do: devote my life to religion. If I had, I would probably be very interested in what it had to say, as it would make a direct impact on how I live my life. Then again, reading what parts of it I have has certainly not persuaded me to become religious, and several religious people in our class have reported that reading the Bible has led to more questioning of their faith than they had anticipated.

Maybe the Bible finds me boring because I am not a true English major. I haven't dedicated my life to reading as much as possible and learning as much as possible as a result. I have instead selfishly spent my time doing fun things, like snowboarding, and frisbee golfing, and hanging out with my friends, and watching TV. But these things are necessary (not all, but the point of doing them) in order to be a well-balanced person and to be happy.

Basically, at this point in my life I am not ready to sit down for 500 hours (plus or minus) and read the entire Bible. But I assure you, I will at some point. It's another book on my reading list inspired by Dr. Sexson. And maybe that's what the challenge at the beginning of the semester was meant to accomplish. I have been inspired by the Bible and our discussion of it, and it will stay with me for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled across your blog, and have enjoyed reading it. My comment relates to one statement you made: "Perhaps the Bible finds me boring because I haven't done what it wants me to do: devote my life to religion."

    I would argue that the Bible does not ask you to devote your life to religion. To the contrary, in the teachings of Jesus it is clear he is quite critical of religion i.e. habit or structure claiming to be godly behavior that is in fact disconnected from an honest response to God. What I believe the Bible essentially says is that a God unconstrained by time and space seeks a loving concensual relationship with finite man, and what the the Bible asks is that we simply enter into that relationship and be willing to go where it leads.

    For a good read along these lines I recommend "Searching for God Knows What" by Donald Miller (the author of the more popular "Blue Like Jazz" which is also a terrific read).

    Have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete