Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Term Paper (for real?)

I have been feeling the pressure of this term paper as the days drag on, and it is not a pleasant feeling. I keep thinking that an epiphany will come to me (what does that mean again?) but no such luck. I am going to have to commit myself to something and run with it. I now regret not reading at a faster pace throughout the semester, but nothing can be done but to continue.

I had originally thought I would for sure write about "What I know now that I didn't know before and the difference that it makes," but the more I thought about it the more I realized I had no idea how to focus my thesis. So many things I learned in this class were about life in general and perspectives for looking at it, and it would be very hard to focus a thesis on this and still make it relevant to the academic subjects of the class.

So, I have come to realize the best thing for me to do is write about The Slave. I went back and read the blog I wrote about it right after I finished it, and I decided the best thing to discuss would be Jacob's personal slavery, or lack thereof. I would argue that he is a slave throughout the book, whether it be to Wanda's family, to his religion, or to Wanda/Sarah herself. I know this is a boring and unoriginal subject, especially because Dr. Sexson suggested it if we were having difficulties focusing our papers, but frankly, I am having those difficulties, and I am not a graduating senior so I reserve the right to be average as far as this class is concerned.

The most difficult obstacle I expect to encounter when writing this paper is referencing Northrop Frye thrice times over. How am I going to do this? I can hardly understand him, much less relate him to The Slave.

Clearly, I have a lot of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment