Tuesday, September 29, 2009

langage?

I'm no Northrop Frye, and I don't claim to understand what he's talking about in The Great Code. But the Bible certainly uses language uniquely. From what I can tell, when people are speaking, their words are generally more powerful than present-day speech. Essentially, what is said happens, and that's that.

Then there is the narrative itself. I find it hard to analyze because what we are reading is an interpretation of a translation of an interpretation. Who is to say what it was "supposed to" be in the first place? Which brings me to one of my central questions about the Bible. Who decided when it was a "finished product?" The great Redactor, apparently. But was there one, or were there ten? Nobody knows. This is such a fundamental question that it leaves me wondering how the Bible gained all of its legitimacy.

I know the Bible is legit, but not in a cut-and-dry way. Wait...that's what this whole class is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment