Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Power of Sleep

Today I almost had a bad day. I say almost because first of all, ever since I started working at the schwag (Miller Dining Hall for you proper people) as a dishwasher, every Tuesday and Thursday is a 13 hour day. I have five classes from 8 am to 3 pm nonstop (a 30 minute "lunch break" doesn't quite count), then I go to work from 4:25 until about 8:30 or 8:45. It's a horrible schedule and I'm not sure why I decided adding work in the evening would be a good idea, but I think my reasoning was if I did everything on Tuesday and Thursday the other days would be less busy (not true).

Anyway, last night I spent the night at my unofficial boyfriend of sorts house (I'll call him Patrick — I won't go into detail about the situation, ha ha) and I set my alarm for 6:30 so I would have time to go home and get ready for the day. I had a test in my 8:00 class this morning which was open note; I prepared for it last night.

This morning my alarm went off at 6:30; it was loud and obnoxious and I immediately turned it off (no snooze - off). I looked over at Patrick; he was somehow still sound asleep. I decided I didn't want to get up immediately and immediately fell into a deep sleep.

Time passed while I slept, completely unaware. Eventually I drifted into consciousness to Patrick saying "Do you have class?" I realized what had happened and noticed it was light outside. I looked at my phone and it said 8:13. I said a blasphemous word and immediately got up to go. After leaving Patrick's house I had to go home, get my academic materials, and bike to campus. This whole process took me approximately 30 minutes, and it was quite a stressful time.

Ironically, everything I have done for the class my test was in lately has been unimpressive. A couple weeks ago we were supposed to meet with our professor to talk about the assignments we have done so far. First, I made an appointment, forgot about it, and didn't go. Then, I made it to my appointment, but I didn't have the assignments with me, which were obviously the whole point of the meeting, so I had to embarrassingly re-schedule again. Then, we were split into groups for a project, and my group was scheduled to present on November 24, when I will be in Alaska (sound familiar? the same thing happened to me in Lit 240. Obviously, this is a sign I should not miss school for extended vacations), so I had to ask to be in a different group. Also, I had signed up to participate in an Indian Education for All seminar which my teacher was putting on last Friday, and when she asked to talk to the people who were going to it on Thursday I had to tell her I couldn't make it because I went out of town last weekend. This was a faux pas because she had reserved a spot for me - apparently it was popular. She was not pleased.

As I was frantically biking to class all of these things were running through my head. Today was the first day I have overslept all semester and it had to be when I had a test in a class I could normally skip under such circumstances. Luckily, the class is Multicultural Education and the teacher has to be a tolerant, understanding person, so she accepted my lame "I overslept. I have no other excuse," excuse and waited after class until I finished, about 20 minutes after the class officially ended.

This morning our "have a bad day assignment" was running through my head while these events unfolded. But, things worked out for me, I decided to skip my next class (my least favorite) in favor of going to International Coffee Traders and getting breakfast, and the rest of the day went smoothly enough. I agree with Jeanie, there should be no bad days if you have an optimistic view of the world. Bad events still happen, but if I had let my morning ruin my day I don't think I would be able to get through any Tuesday or Thursday of this semester.

An observation: a good day starts with sleeping in; a bad day starts with oversleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment